To-do for new grads

Welcome new grads! Please make sure to finish the followings as soon as you are in town. You can finish some of the staffs before coming to Utah too.

Setup Campus Information Services (CIS) account

Please follow the instructions provided in the welcome letter to setup a CIS account. You can register courses, manage payroll, pay tution from the CIS account.

Setup email (UMail)

Follow this tutorial to setup your Umail account from CIS.

Register for classes

Please register for CS 6000 or higher level courses. All your credits need to be taken for a letter grade, so CR/NC (credit/no credit) does not apply to graduate students. Please consult the graduate handbook to check the course requirements.

Setup email (SoC Webmail/ CS account)

In order to create a computer account for you in the School of Computing, you will need to send email to with the subject heading “Account request” from your UMail account. You will need to provide three things in the request:

   1) Your name.
   2) Your University ID Number (uNID).
   3) Three possible choices for your username, in order of preference.

Usernames in the School of Computing are between three (3) and eight (8) characters in length and cannot contain any punctuation marks or special characters. You are asked to provide three choices, in order of preference, to facilitate us in the event that any of the requested usernames have already been used. Your email will create a support ticket. Any further correspondence over your account creation should be handled through the assigned ticket. Simply replying to the ticket email will do this. Account creation begins no earlier than two (2) weeks before the start of the semester. Requests for status on account generation prior to this period will be ignored. Accounts will not be created until you are actually enrolled. You can login your SoC webmail account Here

Get Ucard

Get your University ID at 200 Union Building. They are open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am until 6:00 pm, and Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Be prepared to present both photo identification and your student number (uNID). Cards will be available for pick up two weeks prior to classes start. This card gives you free access to UTA buses and Trax trains around town. You will also use this card at the library and it can be coded to open certain doors in the School of Computing. You can also deposit money onto it to use in vending machines around campus.

Get door access

For access to the MEB (the School of Computing building) through the exterior doors after hours, please fill in a form in Karen’s office, MEB 3190.

To get door accesses in any MEB room using your UCard, please contact with your name, uNID, the long ID number in the UCard (mentioned just below your name) and which doors you need access to in MEB.

Setup payroll (funded students)

Domestic students

Fill out the “New Hire Form” and turn in to Maya (if you are a TA) and Chethika (if you are a GA/RA or Fellowship student) with driver’s license and original copy of social security card, or a valid US passport.

International students
  • Pick up Social Security Support Letter from Leslie, MEB 3190.
  • Check in at the International Center with the above letter.
  • It may take a few days for you to receive the Work Authorization letter needed for the Social Security number.
  • Go to Social Security Office, 175 East 400 South, SLC, with the Social Security support letter and the Work Authorization letter. Card will be sent to you later. Hold on to receipt. Call 1-866-851-5275 for hours of operation.
  • Complete payroll documents: bring Social Security receipt; Work Authorization letter from the International Center; passport; printout of I-94 doc, I-20; completed New Hire Form and bring to Maya or Chethika in MEB 3190.
  • Make an appointment with Tax Services: Park Building, room 401. Forms will be completed there.

Submit Official Transcript

Arrange to have official transcripts and degree certificates sent directly to the Admissions Office. Only one set of official transcripts and degree certificates are needed. School records must be:

  • Sent directly from the school attended to the Office of Admissions. The University of Utah accepts electronic transcripts as official from the following agencies only: Docufide by Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, and Scrip-Safe. Please send electronic transcripts to
  • Presented in the original language with an official English translation.
  • If sent by mail, here is the address:
    Graduate Admissions Division      
    The University of Utah      
    201 S. 1460 E. Room 250 S SSB      
    Salt Lake City, UT 84112

Submit Proof of Immunization

All new and transfer students born after December 31, 1956 are required to submit proof of immunity for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). Please submit the dates and a copy of your immunization records through the Student Health Patient Portal to avoid a registration hold. More information about the requirement can be found at Student Health Service Immunization Programs Office.

Health insurance

Student health insurance is available for the U of U students. Domestic students, buy the student insurance here. International students, you will be automatically enrolled in the student health insurance. If you choose your own health insurance, other than the one provided by the university, please contact Kerry Hill, Health Insurance Coordinator, for guidelines., 801-581-5804, or There are domestic plans that are compatible.

TAs and RAs who are receiving a full 100% tuition benefit are qualified for subsidized version. Qualifying students are responsible for only the 20% of the premium and graduate school pays the rest. Domestic students, after you buy the insurance, submit the receipt to Karen (MEB 3190 G) to get reimbursed the 80% of the premium. International students, you will be billed for 20% of the premium through CIS tuition bill.

Attend international student orientation

All incoming international students are required to attend the International Student Orientation. It is necessary to sign up for this session beforehand from the list of available dates. Students who miss out on this will have their rights to choose classes for the spring term revoked until they attend the seminar, which would be scheduled in January again.


Please contact the following people if you have any questions or concerns:

  • Leslie LeFevre or Robert Barber,, MEB 3190: for course related questions
  • Karen Feinauer,, MEB 3190 G: for tuition benefit and funding
  • Chethika Wijayawardhana,, MEB 3190: for payroll
  • Maya Frost,, MEB 3190: for payroll
  • Front desk,, MEB 3190: any other inquiry